VIEWS OF THE CITY
Looking north across the station to Foundry Bridge, 1971
The building off Timber Hill still exists, but it looks nothing like this.
JUNCTION of ST BENEDICTS & WESTWICK STREET. 1945
1902 Booklet, T. Wells; the firm was later known as Rumsey Wells
JUNE 1977. COLMANS OMNIBUS IS NOW A STATIC EXHIBIT AT WEST RUNTON
The Norwich Mercury office at 12 Cockey Lane (London St). C19th
A drink behind the Ferry Boat
Norwich market; flock of sheep in front of the Shirehall.
11 HAYMARKET, NORWICH
This DMU has just arrived in Norwich City Station from Melton Constable
HOVELL’S SHOP, Bridewell Alley
Norwich cattle market.
NORWICH MARKET, Spring 1973
Duke Street Bridge now frames the entrance to the Castle Mall car park
Willmott’s stores. Prince of Wales Road
The BOARS HEAD was on the corner of St Stephens and Surrey Street circa 1910. It was named the Boars Head in 1840. It was destroyed by bombing in 1942.
The Lame Dog stood on the corner of Queens Road & All Saints Green until the 1970s
These are all pictures of a Norwich that has long gone.
NORWICH CATHEDRAL remains of course, but the arch which frames it has been demolished
Norwich station looked very different in the 1950s
Curl Brothers, Rampant Horse Street, decorated for Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee. Curls became Debenhams, but this building was also bombed in 1942.
Loading scrap metal at Wensum Wharf Norwich, c 1978
Boulton and Paul’s factory in Rose Lane, Norwich, circa 1890.
The coaling tower at Norwich. The locomotive is 61571, the first of the last batch of B12s built by Beyer Peacock in 1928. 61572 is preserved on the North Norfolk Railway.
THE BLOG FOR MEMORIES OF NORWICH